I grew up mostly in the St. Louis, Missouri area (also living in Colorado for four years). When I was 23 years old, I moved to the Los Angeles, California area.
In 2016, at the age of 36, I hiked the John Muir Trail solo (220+ miles in the California High Sierra Mountains). It was a time of adventure and meeting new people along the trail that set into motion my desire to follow a new path. I quit my corporate job, sold my house in Los Angeles, and began traveling full-time.
I started my travels in the Pacific Northwest and drove through Canada to Alaska. After that, I spent a month in Thailand, a month in Vietnam, and then six months exploring Australia. Follow the adventure to see pictures/videos, and hear stories of people and places along the way.
I write about what it’s like traveling as a tall solo female, the feelings that come along with it (good and bad), the people I meet, and the thoughts that run through my head. I also share some beautiful pictures and history of the places I go! Each post is a quick 5-15 minute read. See below for some highlights.
I enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and biking. During my travels, I strive to push myself both physically and emotionally. Some of my favorite adventures have been:
- Sleeping on the deck of a ferry in Alaska
- Camping at a glacier
- Snowmobiling in Canada
- Hiking in Thailand
- Learning how to scuba dive in Thailand
- Driving a motorbike in the mountains of Vietnam
- Flying in a powered hang-glider over the Ningaloo Reef
- Rock climbing and rappelling into one of the oldest canyons in the world in the Australian outback
- Swimming with humpback whales
I’ve had the fortune of meeting some of the most interesting and caring people on the planet. Here are just a few:
- A retired VP now running an Airbnb in Alaska
- Fifteen people on a nine-day group tour in Thailand
- A young guy who started motorbike tours in Ha Giang
- A woman in Vietnam who started her own food tour business
- Fellow travelers
- Twenty people on a ten-day tour in the Australian outback
- An Australian outback woman who has presented at New York Fashion Week
As a single female, I’ve also tried to date while traveling, which has been challenging:
Follow me along the Journey
Be part of the family of monthly contributors who receive access to exclusive content.