After working in corporate America for 15 years, I quit my job, sold my house, packed up my Subaru Outback, and hit the road. I grew up in Missouri and have lived in Colorado and California. I started my travels in the Pacific Northwest and drove through Canada to Alaska. After that, I spent a month in Thailand, a month in Vietnam, and then six months exploring Australia. Follow along to see pictures/videos, and hear stories of people and places along the way.
I write about what it’s like traveling as a tall solo female, the feelings that come along with it (good and bad), the people I meet, and the thoughts that run through my head. I also share some beautiful pictures and history of the places I go! Each post is a quick 5-15 minute read.
I enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and biking. During my travels, I strive to push myself both physically and emotionally. Some of my favorite adventures have been:
- Sleeping on the deck of a ferry in Alaska
- Camping at a glacier
- Snowmobiling in Canada
- Hiking in Thailand
- Learning how to scuba dive in Thailand
- Driving a motorbike in the mountains of Vietnam
- Flying in a powered hang-glider over the Ningaloo Reef
- Rock climbing and rappelling into one of the oldest canyons in the world in the Australian outback
- Swimming with humpback whales
I’ve had the fortune of meeting some of the most interesting and caring people on the planet. Here are just a few:
- A retired VP now running an Airbnb in Alaska
- Fifteen people on a nine-day group tour in Thailand
- A young guy who started motorbike tours in Ha Giang
- A woman in Vietnam who started her own food tour business
- Fellow travelers
- Twenty people on a ten-day tour in the Australian outback
- An Australian outback woman who has presented at New York Fashion Week
As a single female, I’ve also tried to date while traveling, which has been challenging:
- First signing up on apps
- Getting my first kiss after my divorce
- Meeting a mysterious man on an airplane
- Spending 16 hours with a guy at a bar and having to say goodbye
- Confronting a guy who ghosted me
- Following a guy to the airport to express how I felt
You can follow along by using your email address. The subscribe option is located at the bottom of each page. If you’re a new reader, I recommend that you start from the beginning. Or you can start reading any country that interests you. To see an overview of posts, click here.
Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or just to say “hi”! I love interacting with people!
Editors: Mandy Strider and Misty Kosek